the best thing about chili pepper water is that its healthy! there are literally only 4 ingredients in this CPW. no salt, no sugar, no fat - ALL FLAVOR.
i get my peppers cheap from the farmers market for $1 a bag. if you know anyone with a chili pepper plant, ask them if you can have some! this recipe is super easy, and makes a great gift for anyone who likes a little hot sauce.
CHILI PEPPER WATER
(recipe adapted from "The Calabash Cookbook for Kidney Health")
- 1/2 C. water, boiled and cooled (microwave is ok)
- 1/4 C. garlic cloves, peeled and chopped in chunks (I use about 6-7 cloves depending on size)
- 1/4 C. chili peppers, stems removed (I've used Hawaiian chili peppers, and hot red peppers - the Hawaiian peppers are more mild)
- 1 C. white distilled vinegar (the original recipe calls for rice vinegar, but white works fine)
1. get a clean, empty Tabasco bottle (24 oz size) OR new see through squeeze bottle, cleaned
2. place garlic cloves and chili peppers in bottle
3. lightly crush garlic and peppers using a muddler, or a chop-stick (flat end works best)
4. add vinegar and water
5. let stand for 1 day on counter, and refrigerate for a few days before using
6. shake the bottle every once and a while; flavor gets stronger the longer it sits