the horribly blurry pictures that will eventually follow.
i had cropped some of them from larger ones*
there are a few Bon Dances around the island i tend to hit up when this season rolls around. Wahiawa's Bon Dance is one of them.
what is Obon? it is a time to honor your ancestors. the obon festival, or Bon Odori, is a time when you welcome the spirits of the dead, and celebrate your ancestors. if you go to Obon, the spirits are in the air...... or so some believe. i've taken some pictures in the past, that might suggest this is true.... but who knows. either way, it is all in good spirits, and fun times.
and dance she did! :D
take time to visit a Bon Dance if you're here on Oahu. a few of them have already passed, but here are the remaining dances coming up! also, if you miss the other dances, you at least have to go to the biggest one - the Okinawan Festival... don't miss it!
- July 1-2 (7:15PM) - Moiliili Hongwanji, 902 University Ave. 949-1659
- July 2 (6:00PM) - Kāne‘ohe Higashi Hongwanji, 45-520 Keaahala Road 247-2661
- July 8-9 (7:00PM) - Koboji Shingon Mission 1223 N. School St. 841-7033
- July 8-9 (7:00PM) - Waipahu Hongwanji 94-821 Kuhaulua St. 677-4221
- July 15-16 (6:30PM) - Haleiwa Shingon Mission 66-469 Paalaa Rd. 637-4423
- July 16 (7:00PM) - Waianae Hongwanji 85-762 Old Government Road 677-4221
- July 22-23 (6:00PM) - Jikoen Hongwanji 1731 N. School St. 845-3422
- July 22-23 (7:30PM) - Wahiawa Ryusenji Soto Mission 164 California Ave. 622-1429
- July 22-23 (8:00PM) - Haleiwa Jodo Mission 66-279 Haleiwa Rd. 637-4382
- July 29-30 (7:30PM) - Palolo Hongwanji 1641 Palolo Ave. 732-1491
- Aug. 5-6 (5:30PM) - Koganji Temple 2869 O‘ahu Ave. Mānoa Valley 988-4905
- Aug. 5-6 (7:00PM) - Waipahu Soto Zen Temple, 94-413 Waipahu St. 671-3103
- Aug. 6 (7:30PM) - Waialua Hongwanji 67-313 Kealohanui St. 637-4395
- Aug. 12-13 (6:30PM) - Shingon Shu Hawai‘i 915 Sheridan St. 941-5663
- Aug. 12-13 (6:30PM) - Soto Mission of ‘Aiea Taiheiji 99-045 Kauhale St. 488-6794
- Aug. 12-13 (7:30PM) - Pearl City Hongwanji 858 2nd St. 455-1680
- Aug. 19-20 (7:00PM) - Mililani Hongwanji 95-257 Kaloapau St. 625-0925
- Aug. 19-20 (7:30PM) - Soto Mission of Hawai‘i-Shoboji 1708 Nuuanu Ave. 537-9409
- Aug. 19-20 (7:30PM) - Jodo Mission of Hawai‘i 1429 Makiki St. 949-3995
- Aug. 27 (5:30PM) - Nichiren Mission of Hawai‘i 33 Pulelehua way, Nuuanu 595-3517
- Aug. 27 (7:00PM) - ‘Aiea Hongwanji 99-186 Puakala St. 487-2626
- Sept. 3-4 Okinawan Festival